It was a pleasure to join Councillor Andrew Wines on Friday to officially switch on the traffic lights at the intersection of Bellwood Street and Monier Road, Darra. This busy intersection accommodates approximately 15,000 vehicles per day, making it an important junction in Brisbane’s road network to connect to the Centenary Highway, Oxley Road and the Ipswich Motorway.
Between July 2016 and June 2021, the intersection recorded 12 crashes all of which resulted in medical treatment or hospitalisation. Eleven of the 12 incidents were crashes involving turning vehicles at the intersection who failed to stop or give way to oncoming traffic.
Poor sightlines, combined with the high number of heavy vehicles that use the intersection, make it difficult for motorists to determine safe opportunities to complete a turning movement.
I want to say thank you to our local community for their patience throughout the construction of this project and acknowledge the hard work of Doval Construction in delivering this upgrade.
To improve safety, we will install traffic lights at the intersection, with new north and southbound right-turn lanes on Bellwood Street and pedestrian crossing facilities. Other works will involve:
- widening the left-turn slip lane on Monier Road eastbound
- extending the left-turn slip lane on Monier Road westbound
- upgrading and realigning the pedestrian refuge on Monier Road, east of the intersection
- improving the road layout to allow safe movements for B-double vehicles
- installing new traffic islands and medians on Monier Road
- providing two-metre-wide on-road bike lanes along Monier Road
- upgrading footpaths, pram ramps and kerb and channel
The Monier Road and Bellwood Street intersection upgrade project is jointly funded by Brisbane City Council and the Australian Government’s Roads to Recovery program.