One of the fastest-growing sports in the world is expanding in Brisbane with four new dedicated pickleball courts to be delivered.
Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said the four new pickleball courts would be delivered this financial year to cater for the sport’s growing popularity.
“We’re investing in these new suburban courts to provide more ways for residents of all ages to stay active and healthy,” Cr Schrinner said.
“Pickleball is a fun and fast-growing sport that is a cross between badminton and tennis with more than 6000 people already playing pickleball across Brisbane.
“The four new pickleball court locations to be delivered will take the number of courts delivered by Council since 2020 to 14.
“By delivering more opportunities for free fun in our suburbs we’re making Brisbane an even better place to live.”
New pickleball locations to be delivered in 2023/24:
- John Magee Park, Counihan Road, Seventeen Mile Rocks
- Greenways Esplanade Park, 30 Greenways Esplanade, Parkinson
- Enoggera Creek Sport and Recreation Precinct, Newmarket
- Sheriff Park, Habitat Drive, Wakerley
Deputy Mayor and Holland Park Ward Councillor Krista Adams said her community were incredibly excited to have brand new pickleball courts in Holland Park West, which were officially opened today.
“This is a sport that can be played be residents of all ages and abilities and having convenient local courts if going to encourage even more people to give pickleball a go,” Cr Adams said.
“Ensuring our residents have free and low-cost opportunities to maintain good health and an active lifestyle will benefit everyone, particularly as more people look for ways to have affordable fun.
“The courts at Joachim Street Park are the first dedicated public pickleball courts in Brisbane and residents can look forward to courts at four new locations being delivered in the next 12 months.
“With new locations coming to Brisbane’s north, south, east and west residents right across Brisbane will be able to give this fast-growing sport a try.”
Existing pickleball locations:
- Joachim Street Park, Holland Park West – 3 x pickleball courts
- Mulbeam Park, Muller Road, Boondall – linings for three courts within multi-use court
- Boyd Park, Boyd Road, Nundah – linings for one court within multi-use court
- Davies Park, West End – lining for two courts within multi-use court.